TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE 16TH INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF UNIVERSITY CHOIRS
"UNIVERSITAS CANTAT", 15-18 MAY 2024
THE FESTIVAL'S MISSION:
The International Festival "Universitas Cantat” promotes academic culture in the field of musical arts – choirs and orchestras. More than ten university choirs and orchestral ensembles from all around the world are invited to Poznań to participate in the event. Participants have an opportunity to present music of their countries in its full diversity. All of these activities create a space for an inspiring cultural and artistic exchange.
Poznań, the city which hosts the festival, is one of Poland's most important choral art centres with an extraordinarily rich tradition in this domain. The main auditorium of the Festival is Adam Mickiewicz University Hall - a beautiful neo-Renaissance concert venue famous for its remarkable acoustic properties.
"Universitas Cantat” owes its amazing atmosphere to people - joyful, radiant, in love with choral music and engaged in the concerted organizational effort. Their passion for each festival shows that the participation of young people in producing high culture is a matter of international importance and that performing music together is a universal value of enduring attractiveness.
The festival is of non-competitive nature. Learn more about the Festival at www.cantat.amu.edu.pl.
Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
AMU Chamber Choir Friends' Association
The Festival is intended for academic ensembles:
• choirs: mixed, male or female ensembles up to 40 singers (ensembles with a larger number of singers need to pay an additional fee for each person that exceeds the limit)
• vocal ensembles
• academic orchestras and big bands up to 50 performers (larger ensembles need to pay an additional fee for each person that exceeds the limit)
DATE OF THE EVENT
The 16th International Festival of University Choirs UNIVERSITAS CANTAT 2024 will be held in Poznań, 15-18 May 2024.
Festival ensembles must participate in three concerts:
1. Gala Concert in the UAM Hall (half-recital, 25-30 minutes)
- the programme must predominantly consist of pieces written by composers from the ensemble's home country, pieces that belong to the musical traditional of the ensemble's home country or compositions in a musical idiom that the ensemble specialises in.
2. Concert in the Wielkopolska province (cultural centres, churches, etc.) – recital (45-60 minutes):
- The ensemble may present a programme of its own choice, provided that it is suitable for the intended concert venue.
3. Final Concert of UC 2024 featuring short individual presentations of choirs and a joint performance of the festival piece
- The score of the pieces performed during the Final Concert will be sent to the participating ensembles two months before the Festival by e-mail.
- The participating choir undertakes to practice pieces for Final Concert with due diligence in advance of the Festival and to take part in the Festival rehearsals with other choirs. The Festival Director reserves the right to assess the level at which the choirs have mastered the final piece. Failure to meet the requirements regarding preparation for the final piece may result in exclusion from the Festival.
1. During the Festival there are workshops, including compulsory rehearsals to the Final Piece.
2. Conductors are encouraged to exchange their artistic experiences.
3. Meeting of ensemble representatives (conductors and choir managers) with the AMU Rector.
4. During the Festival, participants will have the opportunity to get to know each other in the Festival club (details will be provided further into the organisation process).
1. The ensembles must cover their transportation costs, including:
- costs of travel to and from Poznań
- parking fees, when they apply
- public transport fees in Poznań, when they apply
- transportation to and from regional concert venues in Wielkopolska province
- at the ensemble’s request the Festival Office may organize transportation from and to the Ławica airport / train station. A flat rate fee of EUR 500 is required. The offer applies to transportation within Poznań and is valid during the Festival.
2. The registration fee is respectively:
for foreign choirs and orchestras:
ATTENTION: Cancellation of participation after 30 January 2024 will not cause a refund of the registration fee.
3. Failure to pay the registration fee by 30 December 2023 (unless agreed with the organisers)shall be equivalent to withdrawing from participation in the Festival.
4. Ensembles are solely responsible for purchasing health insurance, accident insurance and other types of insurance.
5. The organisers shall not be held responsible for any illegal performance of music (due to copyright infringement) and for actions undertaken by copyright collectives due to such an incident.
6. Additional persons (exceeding the limit of 40 persons for choirs and 50 for orchestras) shall pay a total fee of EUR 200 which includes the registration fee, accommodation and board.
- We provide FREE ACCOMMODATION in YOUTH HOSTEL/STUDENT RESIDENCE HALL standard (dormitories, communal bathroom facilities).
- The prices for extending stay are presented in the table:
Vocal ensembles and choirs up to 40 members Orchestras up to 50 members Additional members Fee EUR 50/person. EUR 50/person. 200 euro
Fee, hostel, meals
No additional charges
No additional charges No additional charges At the ensemble's request, the Festival Office may upgrade the accommodation standard, which requires a surcharge to the registration fee. Details may be consulted with the Festival Office.
Foregin and Polish ensembles:
- Arrival on Tuesday, 14th May (the first meal is breakfast on Wednesday morning, 15th May)
- Departure on Sunday, 19th May, after breakfast.
At the ensemble's request, the Festival Office will provide assistance in extending their stay in Poznań.
The organisers provide two meals FREE OF CHARGE every day throughout the whole Festival: breakfast and lunch/dinner.
- The organisers have an unlimited right to register and broadcast without payment the performances of the participating ensembles, in whole or in part, and otherwise dispose of any recording of any such performance in any manner that they see fit.
- The organisers offer Festival materials: programmes, posters, badges, etc.
- The organisers may offer assistance to foreign ensembles in organising a longer concert tour in Poland.
RULES OF APPLICATION:
- By submitting the application form, the ensembles agree to the Terms and Conditions of the Festival.
- The organisers of “Universitas Cantat” recruit ensembles on the basis of submitted application forms with attachments (including recordings), ensuring a high level of performance at the Festival.
|15 December 2023||Deadline for submitting the application form with attachments.
APPLICATION FORM available for download
recordings: three diverse pieces from the last two years.
the ensemble’s photograph in HD resolution, 300 DPI.
PDF scores of all pieces from concert programmes submitted by the ensemble.
a statement of consent to the processing of personal data
|20 December 2023||
Application procedure results announced.
|30 December 2023||
Deadline for withdrawing from the Festival by sending a written resignation to the Festival Secretary (may be also submitted electronically).
|20 January 2024||
Deadline for payment of the registration fee.
Bank account number
Payments in euro: IBAN: PL 44 1240 6609 1978 0010 4746 2792
SWIFT: PKO PL PW
Payments in Polish zloty 87 1240 6609 1111 0010 4746 2688
Stowarzyszenie Przyjaciół Chóru Kameralnego UAM AMU Chamber Choir Friends' Association
Details of payment:
|1 April 2024||
Ensembles may submit changes to the programmes and send files for printing.
CONTACT DETAILS OF THE FESTIVAL OFFICE
Address of the Festival Office
Collegium Martineum, Św. Marcin 78, 61-809 Poznań, Poland
The Festival Office and Contact:
Prof. Krzysztof Szydzisz
+48 608 30 70 30
Festival Deputy Director
AMU prof. Dr hab. Joanna Piech–Sławecka
+48 604 525 554
MA Ewa Dąbrowska
+48 732 738 619